June 3, 2013
First and foremost, I guess I should announce the brand change of my workplace. Not so much because it is a big deal as far as Toronto hotels go (it is!), but more because it is my excuse for why I have been so busy that I haven’t written a new blog in forever! After 37 years, the Delta Chelsea – Canada’s largest hotel – is becoming the Eaton Chelsea … no, not part of the Eaton Centre (though we are the Official Hotel of that shopper’s paradise!), but part of a brand that our owners, Langham Hospitality Group, is bringing into Canada. It’s gonna be the same warm, (family) friendly, great-value hotel that you all know and love, but with some much-needed renovations and exciting new additions. The switchover is July 1, so stay tuned for more on this (and read about it on the homepage!)
This is also the time of year when all our fun summer announcements have been made. So much going on! Just a sampling:
1) Concerts are already happening at the Molson Amphitheatre at Ontario Place – starting with the ever-popular Dave Matthews Band at the end of May, ending with Depeche Mode in early September. And lots of great stuff in between including John Mayer, Kiss, Phish and Ke$ha (though certainly not together!). Something for every musical taste. Go to www.livenation.com/venues/14878/molson-canadian-amphitheatre
2) The Toronto Jazz Festival is back for its 26th year, and is truly better than ever. (At least I’m more excited than ever!) Went to their line-up announcement (at the city’s newest jazz club, a fantastic spot that has re-opened after many shuttered years – The Jazz Bistro on Victoria street), and there are SO many great (free and ticketed) acts this June – Willie Nelson, Mavis Staples, Steve Martin, Boz Scaggs…the list goes on and on…check out www.torontojazz.com
3) Luminato Festival is a little more “esoteric” (code word for “artsy”) than the above, but an amazing array of concerts, plays, dance performances and public art – much of it also free! (Here’s a photo of filmmaker Atom Egoyan at the recent media launch). Visit www.luminatofestival.com
4) Harbourfront Centre is an amazing place to walk around during the summer, even if nothing is happening – but plenty is! Every weekend a different festival (“Soundclash”, Calypso, “Hot & Spicy Food”, “Ritmo y Color” to name a few) www.harbourfrontcentre.com
5) Yonge-Dundas Square – right in the heart of the City and always a great place just to sit and people-watch – has a full line up of lunchtime concerts, public movie screenings, and Friday night “Indie” music – all FREE! www.ydsquare.ca
And I would be remiss if I did not at least mention that our “Boys of Summer” are in full “swing” at the Rogers Centre. Although they are not living up to expectations we all had when they announced their amazing team this year, a Jays game is still a most awesome way to pass a beautiful summer day!
So get your sunscreen ready, get out your sandals, and get ready to enjoy the best time of year in the best city in the world!